Strategic Priorities & Initial Strategic Initiatives
These strategic priorities are key focus areas that will move Oglethorpe University forward in fulfilling its mission and vision. Strategic initiatives — programs, projects, plans and activities that support specific priorities — will be prioritized on an annual basis. Please check back soon for a list of the 2022-2023 initiatives.
Strategic Priority 1:
Enhance student success during their time at Oglethorpe and beyond.
- Build a professional advising unit of highly trained personnel that uses a data-informed approach to increase retention, persistence, and graduation rates.
- Develop a Teaching and Learning Institute for Inclusive Innovation as a means of providing high impact professional development for faculty that increases academic success for students.
- Create an Academic Support Center (including a writing center with ESL support) to further support students’ academic progress outside the classroom.
- Develop a center focused on learning disabilities services and accessibility for students with dyslexia.
Strategic Priority 2:
Strengthen our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion for all members of the university community.
- Create a faculty hiring and retention DEI toolbox.
- Create a staff hiring and retention DEI toolbox.
- Develop a Universal Design for Learning (UDL) checklist for course syllabi that enhances our approach to UDL in the classroom.
- Diversify the Oglethorpe curricula, including Core, to reflect our diverse community of learners.
- Establish a Multicultural Center to foster sense of belonging for all Oglethorpe students, faculty, and staff.
- Develop a university diversity statement to demonstrate commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Establish an interfaith prayer and reflection space for individuals of all religious faiths and non-religious beliefs to promote the holistic wellness of the Oglethorpe community.
- Develop a comprehensive international recruitment strategy to increase enrollment and foster greater global diversity in our traditional undergraduate program.
Strategic Priority 3:
Expand and integrate the physical, programmatic, fiscal, procedural, and organizational infrastructure in a sustainable manner.
- Create processes and procedures to enhance faculty shared governance.
- Develop an intentionally designed campus master plan using current topography that reflects the institution’s innovative programming and extra- and co-curricular needs.
- Develop a comprehensive compensation system to recruit and retain highly qualified faculty.
- Develop a comprehensive compensation system to recruit and retain highly qualified staff.
- Create a top-tier wellness facility to enhance the overall health of the OU community and better recruit undergraduate athletes.
- Develop a comprehensive campaign.
- Develop a multi-year strategic enrollment management plan to increase enrollment and retention.
Strategic Priority 4:
Develop innovative academic programs, transformative pedagogical practices, and meaningful scholarship.
- Develop, market, and institute a post-baccalaureate CPA certificate.
- Revive the Adult Degree Program (ADP) to include programs, modalities, and support for today’s adult student.
- Create new student market-driven academic programs (e.g., computer science, criminal justice, health sciences, social entrepreneurship).
- Expand the Hammack School sponsored entrepreneurship program to encompass a full institute for entrepreneurship with a meaningful focus on socially conscious enterprise.
- Enhance Oglethorpe’s national reputation via key ranking systems and indicators.
- Develop, market, and institute a master’s degree in accounting.
- Develop, market, and institute a master’s degree in strategic communications.
- Create and manage a student-led investment fund.
Strategic Priority 5:
Support the physical, mental, and professional well-being of members of our community.
- Design and implement a Staff Leadership Development Program.
- Design and implement a Faculty Leadership Development Program.
- Create and implement a comprehensive campus safety approach.
- Increase alumni engagement and student success via a formalized Alumni/Student Mentorship Program.
- Create an innovative faculty mentorship program for early career faculty that increases success and satisfaction, as well as retention.
- Expand the mental health services available to students to address the increased need.
- Expand our holistic health and fitness facilities with consideration of a new building.
- Build a medical and nutritional health area to support students.
- Develop and build upon our intramural sports activities, with a focus on physical health.
- Establish and support a campus day-care center.
Strategic Priority 6:
Establish and strengthen partnerships with Atlanta and global communities.
- Establish the Oglethorpe University brand.
- Develop a robust internship-to-employment pipeline that connects Oglethorpe students with internships that span across disciplines throughout the city of Atlanta.
- Create a corporate partner program to both achieve targeted annual giving as well as facilitate institution growth and programming.
- Create a college bound program for high school students to increase awareness of and interest in Oglethorpe University.
- Establish a School of Arts that elevates our reputation in the performing arts.